As a responsible servant of Jesus Christ, Non-Profit Compliance Coordinator will support the NLS and help educate affiliated secretariats on legal/statutory concerns and implications for not for-profit organizations. This person will also manage the audit processes for the NLS organization to help ensure key standards are upheld.
- A National Lutheran Secretariat (NLS) Executive Board (EB) appointed position that is annually reviewed and renewable with mutual consent of the current appointee and the President, as well as the support of the Executive Committee (EC).
- Serves without compensation; however, allowable personal expenses will be reimbursed.
- Accountable to NLS Executive Committee (EC) through the Executive Director.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Pray for members of the NLS Board and affiliated secretariats.
- Actively participate in a renewal group.
- If requested by the NLS Treasurer, conduct, prepare and reconcile an annual accounting of all funds received and disbursed by the NLS to be made available to the President, Treasurer and Executive Director by July 31st.
- Stay current with all non-profit and tax issues relating to NLS.
- Through audit and education, help ensure compliance in key areas including, but not restricted to:
- Maintaining its Minnesota Not-for-Profit status
- Filing the organization’s annual Tax Form 990
- Filing the Minnesota Charities Report as required by the MN Attorney General’s office
- Filings, audit, and reporting related to the distribution center
- Execution of audits for data integrity on website, database
- When requested, attend the NLS Annual Gathering and meet with members of affiliated secretariats to help with not-for-profit questions and concerns.
- Serves as a non-profit resource for NLS, affiliated secretariats and fledging communities wishing to affiliate with NLS.
- Maintains an accurate and timely manual for this position including a timeline of responsibilities.
- Provides an annual report of activities to the Vice President of Administration for inclusion in the Annual Gathering binder no later than June 1 of each year.
As assigned by the NLS President, Executive Director
Knowledge, Skills, and related Gifts
- Possess a strong working knowledge of, and experience with, not-for-profit accounting/corporate issues/IRS and tax requirements
- Demonstrate the ability to work well with others, often in a teaching capacity.
- Some experience with auditing is a plus
- Participate in by-monthly NLS EB conference call meetings as needed.
- Attend the Annual Gathering if possible