VP Administration (VPA)
The Vice-President for Administration (VPA) is a responsible servant of Jesus Christ who wishes to glorify God by coordinating the National Via de Cristo (VdC) Annual Gathering and serves as President should the elected President become unable to fulfill the position.
- Elected by the delegates at a National Lutheran Secretariat (NLS) meeting to serve a two-year term. Renewable by election for a second two-year term.
- Serves without compensation
- Accountable to NLS President and the Executive Committee (EC)
- Vice President #1
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Prays regularly for the leaders of NLS affiliated secretariats and the members of the NLS Executive Board (EB).
- Participates as an active member of a Renewal Group
- Serves as the EB liaison with local Via de Cristo secretariats that are hosting future Annual Gatherings.
- Coordinates ALL arrangements between the EB and the Host Committee secretariat for the Mid-Year Meeting and the Annual Gathering. [The EC has final responsibility for schedules, agendas and minutes of all NLS meetings.]
- Creates dialogue/workshop groups to meet at each Annual Gathering with input and approval from the EC.
- Provides the Annual Gathering Orientation Session.
- Make necessary assignments for Annual Gathering forums, small group and dialogues, etc. in conjunction with the President and EC.
- During each Annual Gathering, facilitates a dialogue session for those interested in learning more about hosting an Annual Gathering.
- Assists the President at the Annual Gathering, helping to stay on time and on task.
- Provides an annual report of activities for inclusion in the Annual Gathering binder no later than June 15 of each year.
- Maintains an accurate and timely manual for this position including a timeline of responsibilities.
- Studies and becomes very familiar with the Host Guidelines.
- Reviews Host Guidelines document every two years to update language, clarify or revise as needed.
As requested by the NLS President
The Host Committee, current and future, and any dialogue / committee groups, standing or ad hoc, established for each Annual Gathering.
Knowledge, Skills, and Related Gifts
- Organizational and planning skills.
- Diplomacy skills and working well with others.
- Must have follow-through and communication skills.
- Coordinate and facilitate discussions with prospective host(s).
- Willingness to listen, analyze, and direct.
- Computer skills are essential (e.g., e-mail, document preparation/distribution).
- Ability to do on-site inspections with a vision for the Annual Gathering.
- Willingness to be open, ask questions, and get answers.
- Ability to delegate and hold the Host Committee accountable.
- Flexibility with changes while keeping on task.
Assure appropriate expenditures/expense reports or receipts are filed with the NLS Treasurer that relate to the position, travel, and needs for meetings.
Extent of Public Contact: Moderate
Works with small to medium size groups at the Mid-Year Meeting and Annual Gathering. Works with Host Committees and the event location officials during an Annual Gathering and assisting those in attendance.
Travel and time commitment for the Mid-Year Meeting and National VdC Annual Gathering. Long meeting hours, agenda planning, scheduling and communication between Host Committee(s) and the EC. Document and internet work demand time and computer knowledge and skills.